Union Square Main Streets (USMS) is a nonprofit organization working collaboratively to actively support a vibrant neighborhood by preserving the character and advancing the economic strength of the Union Square business district and community.
This is a particularly exciting time to be working at USMS. The city of Somerville is partnering with residents, businesses, property owners, and consultants to create a plan for the Square’s future that will preserve the unique and special character of the Square while taking advantage of new and emerging industries, increasing demand for housing, and the planned arrival of the Green line to the Square. USMS works closely with everyone involved in these planning efforts.
The organization is currently particularly focused on partnering with the local businesses to help them respond to these changes and to expand their customer base and revenue. In addition, USMS works closely with local businesses to create events to attract nearby workers, neighbors and visitors to shop and spend time in the Square.
A USMS intern plays an integral and multi-faceted role in the operations of USMS. This internship grants you the opportunity to expand your knowledge and gain skills related to urban, strategic, and community planning, event operations and logistics, communications, small business development, and marketing and social media outreach. This position is for approximately 10 hours a week.
Responsibilities and tasks include, but not be limited to:
- Communications: This will include work on strategy, content, messaging and delivery for USMS , neighborhood businesses and local events, through mediums that include, but are not limited to:
- Social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter, but including Instagram
- Bi-weekly e-newsletter
- Website blogs
- Website updates, content
- Operations: This will include assisting in task, such as:
- Event logistics
- Administrative and operational tasks
- Preparing reports
- Social media experience
- Event planning experience a plus
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Detail oriented and responsible
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to problem solve and meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong computer skills
- A high degree of personal and professional integrity
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by August 19, 2016